It is critical for the safety of your employees that you are aware of your crane equipment’s OEM Product recall notices!
If you are like me, occasionally you receive a “recall notice” for a vehicle you own or maybe have already sold or traded in long ago.
The Overhead Crane Industry also has many Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) who also issue “equipment recalls” from time to time. Unfortunately, the “end users” and Owners of said products rarely receive such a notice.
In my opinion one of the most important recall notices that I can remember in my long career in the crane industry was released in 2008 by the company named Cleveland Tramrail. The attached document was issued on May 30, 2008, regarding Cleveland Tramrail Overhead Cranes, now Gorbel Inc. It was sent to many of the major crane service organizations and distributors, but very few to the “end users”.
These units were very popular at one time and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of them scattered around the country still in use today, and many owners and or operators are unaware of the present danger they are in. By reading the recall notice and looking at the picture above you can clearly see why if you still have these type of runway systems in your facility, you MUST! replace them immediately. The welds can fail, and this issue can lead to a dropped load condition!
A more recent recall came out this year from Crosby, a well-known manufacturer of rigging equipment. On February 4th of this year, Crosby, issued a major recall on some of their Shackles.
Crosby has determined that some 1″ G-209/S-209 Shackles with product codes 1018534 and 1018543 may have a condition that reduces the load capacity. The impacted shackles were shipped from Crosby between November 23, 2021, and January 28, 2022.
These are just a couple of the issues that face end users in our industry today.
While most customers focus their attention on their “core business”, they often do not have the time or knowledge required to research and implement maintenance and inspections of their overhead lifting equipment and devices and therefore remain oblivious to the dangers their employees face daily due to these types of recall notices through no fault of their own.
Qualified Crane Training and Consulting LLC is aware of these and many other issues that affect our industry. We are constantly updating our training and consulting programs and portfolios to reflect the latest information available to us.
Feel free to contact us anytime for more information about these and other industry related recall notices.
- Dave Hallow is a Technical Trainer / Consultant for Qualified Crane Training and Consulting LLC
- Qualified Crane Training and Consulting LLC is a provider of training and consultative services for the overhead and mobile crane industries
- About Gorbel®: Founded in 1977, Gorbel® is a leading manufacturer of lifting equipment for use in industries around the world. Primary products include ergonomic cranes, intelligent lifting devices, hoists, and overhead patented track systems.
- Cleveland Tramrail has been an industry leader for over a century with a line of monorail systems, pre-engineered Tarca® free-standing and ceiling-mounted overhead crane systems, and underhung systems
- In 2002, Gorbell purchased the Cleveland Tramrail®product line from a company in nearby Montour Falls, and transferred manufacturing to a third new building near their NY headquarters.
- The Crosby Group is a global leader in the innovation, manufacturing and distribution of products and services used to make lifting and load securement safer and more efficient, with premier brands such as Crosby, Gunnebo Industries, Crosby Straightpoint, Acco, McKissick, Crosby Feubo, Trawlex, Lebus, and CrosbyIP.